Post image for Are You Afraid of Your Plastic Food Containers? Replace Them With Glass.

Are You Afraid of Your Plastic Food Containers? Replace Them With Glass.

by Lorraine Thompson on February 27, 2009

Stay updated on my latest posts? Subscribe now for direct delivery to your RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

On a scale of 1 to 10, fear of plastic food containers is about a 5 for me. It certainly doesn’t induce full-scale panic. But it does add to my aggregated anxiety—along with the economy, cancer and those lines on my neck.

While I can’t do anything about Tim Geithner, cell mutation or middle age, I can do something about plastic food containers.

And this weekend I did. After months of procrastination, I took action and bought enough quality lidded glass containers to store and freeze all our family’s food and leftovers.

Now that I’ve converted, I’m a glass evangelist.

6 good reasons to switch from plastic to glass food storage

Since I’ve been saved from plastics’ evils, I want to guide you to the light. I believe once you understand the benefits of glass food storage, you’ll come around from the dark side of plastic food tubs and petrochemical Ziplock bags.

You’ll be glad to know my conversion rests on rational as well as emotional pillars. While I’m sure there are more, I’ve uncovered 6 reasons why glass is superior. Among its advantages, glass food storage…

1. Looks prettier. Okay, glass’ beauty is the least rational reason to switch from plastic to glass. But esthetics are the number one reason why I made the change.

Glass is simply prettier and more substantial looking than plastic. I enjoy the nostalgia stirred by glass kitchenware: I always loved my grandmother’s teal, cherry red and forest green Pyrex nesting bowls. Her etched glass casserole dishes, see photo below, were and are—I inherited them—a pleasure to the senses.

I wouldn’t dream of putting a plastic container of food on my dining table. But I often roll Grandma S.’s casserole dish from fridge to stove to table—even for guests, see photo, below. Glass containers retain their crystaline attractiveness forever. Unlike plastic, glass’ non-porous surface doesn’t absorb dyes or colors. You can store Bolognese in glass one day and put whipped cream in it the next—with no fear of garlicky after notes or greasy red stains.

2. I think this etched tempered glass casserole dish looks as nice now as when my grandmother used it back in her 1950s kitchen in Cailfornia's San Joaquin Valley.

Here's Rustic Bread Pudding baked in Grandma S.'s 50 year-old etched casserole Here’s Rustic Bread Pudding baked in my Grandma S.’s 50 year-old etched casserole

3. Keeps food safe. Scientists no longer ask if toxic substances migrate from plastic to food during microwave heating. They ask how much toxins migrate. They ask if you should use plastic to reheat foods for kids, the ill, the elderly. They ask far too many questions and provide too few reassuring answers, as far as I’m concerned. No doubt scientists will continue to duke it out. In the meantime, I prefer to play it safe if not in my house of glass—in a  kitchen crammed with glass containers.

On another safety note: Glass is cleaner than plastic. Glass’ non-porous surface doesn’t absorb food and germs and it can be safely washed at high temperatures in your dishwasher.

4. Enhances food flavor. Ever notice how milk and marinara from your grocer taste better packed in glass? The same is true of home-stored food. Food simply tastes fresher, cleaner and fuller stored in glass. Glass’ safe, glossy surface repels food odors and residual flavors. And food reheated in glass—whether in a conventional oven or microwave—tastes superior to victuals nuked in plastic. You won’t find plastic’s steamy greenhouse effect—and food has a less soupy consistency and watery mouth feel.
  5. Helps clean-up the planet. Using glass rather than plastic significantly reduces landfill. It also saves energy on plastic’s inefficient recycling process. And unlike that metastasizing heap of mismatched plastic containers in your kitchen cupboard, once you invest in glass storage containers, your supply pretty much stays steady. With care, you’ll use your original glass containers almost indefinitely.

If you break a glass container, you can recycle it without guilt:

• Up to 80% of all recycled glass can be reclaimed.
    • Recycled glass uses 40% less energy than manufacturing new glass.
    • Recycling doesn’t compromise glass’ quality or structure and no toxins are produced in it’s recycling.

A move to glass storage marks a raised consciousness—arguably glass’ most valuable environmental benefit. Your investment in glass helps you move from a throw-away mind-set to a more sustainable sensibility.

Want more details on glass’ environmental benefits? Look here and here.

6. Saves you money. Because glass is usually more expensive than plastic, at first glance, it seems a switch to glass will be more costly. But think about this: Unlike plastic, glass is pretty much a one-time investment. It actually saves you money in the long run. And glass comes in a wide range of prices—see Buying Guide, below.
  7. Eases food prep, serving and clean-up. You’ll find tempered glass food containers:

• Move effortlessly from freezer to fridge to stove to table.
    • Reduce food waste—clear containers let you see what’s in the fridge and use up leftovers before they go bad.
    • Let you safely check food as it reheats—glass’ clarity allows you to see what’s happening without removing lids.
    • Wash-up faster and cleaner—you can safely pop glass into your dishwasher and cleanse at high temperatures.

What to look for when you shop for glass storage containers

To get the most from your investment in glass storage containers, look for:

• Glass containers with tight-fitting lids made of glass, rubber or non-toxic plastic. Try to find flat lids without knobs for easier stacking, see photo below.
  • Oven-proof, freezer-safe tempered glass so you can move food from freezer to stove—or oven to fridge—without danger of cracked or broken glass.
  • Square or rectangular shapes that allow containers to stack easily, pack close together and take up less space in fridge.

Glass storage dishes are a pleasure to use—and affordable. I got the set above for $22.00 at Kmart and plan to use it indefinitely.

• Attractive design: Whether you like clean-lined modern classics or funky vintage glass, you’ll find plenty of eye-pleasing designs now that glass containers are on your radar screen.

Glass Food Container Buying Guide

The following list is far from comprehensive. Please email me or leave a comment to tell me about your own glass sources and finds.

Here’s where I’ve seen great glass storage containers:

• Kmart: I outfitted my kitchen with two sets of Martha Stewart 14-piece ovenware and storage sets, see photo above, and her Everyday lidded glass bowls for under $60.
  • Ikea: Those environmentally progressive, design-for-the-masses Swedes purvey very nice glass food storage containers. As soon as I can pull myself away from my laptop—how about never? Just kidding!—I’m heading to Ikea Brooklyn to buy at least ten of these.
  • The Container Store: While I’m put off by this store’s inflated pricing—that’s why I’m not linking to them—if price is no object, check them out. They offer an incredibly wide variety of glass storage containers and jars.
  • Flea markets and garage sales are a fun way to unearth fabulous bargains on vintage Pyrex and etched glass food storage containers.
  • Ebay. Warning: Vintage glass can become an addictive hobby—and Ebay is the Mecca for hobbyists of every stripe. Try searching for “vintage Pyrex,” “vintage glass casserole,” “vintage covered glass dish”—those are just a few of my obsessions. I’m sure you have your own. Don’t get me started on old lead-glazed Fiesta ware.
  • Your local hardware store. You’ll find large and extra-large Mason jars—a great storage option—at hardware stores and departments. While researching this post, I happened upon Elana’s Pantry, the wonderful gluten-free food blog. Elana makes beautiful use of oversized Mason jars for food storage. Check out her “Why Glass?” post here.

Photo courtesy of Eneas

59 comments - Please leave another.

{ 13 trackbacks }

Eating Better: Milk and Eggs | smartfamilytips
September 5, 2009 at 2:02 pm
Food Storage Options | My Home Decor Journey
April 13, 2011 at 8:30 pm
Healthy Habits: Glass Food Storage - Ellen C Wolchek
March 27, 2012 at 5:53 am
Food Storage | Daily Greens from The Green Yogi
August 21, 2012 at 7:35 am
Add more class to the kitchen with glass
January 11, 2013 at 6:53 am
IN-One — Out-One | Joy In Your Space
January 21, 2014 at 1:57 am
Glass Kitchen Food Storage - New Storage Solutions
November 24, 2014 at 4:48 am

{ 46 comments… read them below or add one }

Elana February 28, 2009 at 12:17 am

Great site! Thanks for mentioning my “Why Glass?” post. Isn’t it funny that something that looks so much better (glass) is so much cheaper than that something much more expensive and inferior (plastic).

Your writing is so pithy and fabulous that I am intimidated by the potential of my own poor prose as I write this comment. Anyway, enough about writer’s anxiety.

Love your post on glass!

Elana

admin February 28, 2009 at 6:36 am

Hi Elana:

Thanks for coming by and taking time to comment.

Your thousands of readers and fans would beg to differ with you about “poor prose.” Your power to communicate–and your endless creativity–shine in your blog’s delightful posts, innovative recipes and gorgeous photographs.

I’m on the lookout for a local place to buy those great 1/2 gallon jars you show in the “Why glass?” post. If I can’t find them locally, I will, as you suggest, order online.

~M April 14, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I switched to pyrex, mason jars, and other glass recently and they are fabulous. I love being able to put them on the bottom of the dishwasher and they rinse out so easily. And they don’t dye containers nasty colors and flavors.

One other huge selling point for me: According to my family’s traditions, glass can be used for meat and milk containing items and is easy to convert to use for passover. It is so much easier keeping kosher with glass storage wear. With plastic, I’d have to label everything.

I’d like to see some of the glass containers you talked about with tightfitting glass lids because all I’ve seen used in conjunction with the glass bottoms is the pyrex plastic or mason jar tops.

Lorraine Thompson April 14, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Yes, M: I can see why glass would be excellent for Kosher/Passover foods as the medium is not permeable and won’t leave traces of foods that could mingle.

Take a look at these vintage glass containers with glass lids on Etsy site (no affiliate!) http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18647323.

Also try ebay, garage sales, etc.

Melia April 28, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Replacing my plastic containers with glass ones has been on my To-Do list for a while. Every time I use plastic, I wonder what invisible toxins are seeping into my food. The glass containers I’ve seen so far have had ill-fitting lids or been sold individually (and therefore expensively), but the Martha Stewart set in your photo is the kind I’ve been looking for. Thanks for nudging me over the edge, and encouraging others make the switch as well!

Lorraine Thompson April 29, 2009 at 6:05 am

Hi Melia:

Thanks for visiting.

I know what you mean about the ill-fitting lids. It really makes a difference to have the lids fit tightly, the containers stack easily–and to have enough containers on hand.

The Martha Stewart sets are working out even better than I imagined. They are attractive enough to use as serving pieces for family dinners–last night I moved them right from fridge to table.

I like them so much I’m buying another set this weekend. Or maybe two–I plan to use these containers at a function at my kids’ school. The containers are sturdy enough to transport food and look a lot nicer than plastic/paper.

Dale September 29, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Are Those Glass Jars From IKEA Freezer Safe?

Lorraine Thompson September 29, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Hi Dale:

I never did get the Ikea jars. I’m not sure whether or not they are tempered–i.e. freezer safe.

Ken Vyhmeister November 13, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Loved your article, thanks…but I hope I don’t ruin your plans to use the KMart set indefinitely, because I have some news to share with you…I have found that the rubber lids on the glass containers you have pictured above drop a rubbery taste upon the food. I am convinced (by my taste buds) that the rubber lids leak microscopic stuff into the food while in the fridge. Thus, to experience the complete effect of what you are talking about, one must use fully-glassed containers, including THE LID! It’s not just about the time the container is in the microwave. The plastic/rubber seeps into the food even while in the fridge. Trust me.

Lorraine Thompson November 16, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Hi Ken:

Thanks for your input.

I’ve never been comfortable nuking plastic, even just the tops. So I don’t nuke my Kmart set with the plastic tops on.

I hadn’t heard about microscopic plastic migration on cold foods. But over time we keep learning more and more about environmental dangers, don’t we?

Coincidentally, I just nabbed a few small vintage Corning glass containers with GLASS tops! Will have to keep my antennae up for more.

ANH November 29, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I CAN’T FIND THE MARTHA STEWART SET ONLINE. I AM ON THE WEST COAST. CAN YOU TELL ME WHICH KMART STORE THAT WOULD SELL THE SET. SO MAY BE I CAN TALK THEM INTO MAIL ME A SET. THANKS

Lorraine Thompson November 30, 2009 at 5:28 am

Hi ANH:

I had the same trouble finding the Martha Stewart set at my local KMart store last week. I’m not sure whether they are temporarily out of stock or have stopped carrying the set altogether.

I found a few other glass food container sets at Target. The following set is very similar to the Martha Stewart set pictured in my post:

Also see:

Hope you find what you need.

Maureen McMillan March 3, 2010 at 6:50 pm

WHY is it that so many glass storage containers have PLASTIC lids? These are touted as being environmentally safe, but doesn’t a plastic-lidded glass container defeat the purpose? I’ve found few glass lidded products available–with the execption of Anchor Hocking small casserole-like containers.

Charlotte March 5, 2010 at 11:42 am

I did this about two years ago — chucked all the plastic, and fell into the vintage-pyrex-ebay hole. However, between my pyrex and my insane love of mason jars, it’s all good. Well, except for my boyfriend’s fear of all those things in the back of the fridge in mason jars (what? they’re pickles! get over it!) … but that’s his problem. Love the site. Come check out livingsmallblog.com — also a place where I advocate cooking from scratch without making yourself insane …

Lorraine Thompson March 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm

@Maureen The plastic lids a hassle. I take them off before nuking. As mentioned above, you can sometimes find Pyrex and all-glass vintage containers cheaply in thrift shops, garage sales and on ebay.

@Charlotte Yes, glass does have a way of revealing all. Thanks for your kind words–can’t wait to explore your site.

John Mahoney April 18, 2010 at 9:57 am

I like the glass food storage containers too but now I am finding that the plastic/rubber covers degrade over time so that they do not seal tightly - sometimes they hardly even cover the glass bowl.

Any ideas on where to get replacement lids?

Lorraine Thompson April 18, 2010 at 10:56 am

@John: I know what you mean. I find the tops also get lost frequently–no matter how careful you are.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a source for replacement tops. Yet. I’ll report back if I find one.

In the meantime, I use a jury-rigged system for tops: small bread-and-butter plates or saucers. The downside: not a very tight seal. My husband uses plastic wrap which I loath–I have one roll of plastic wrap that I expect will last a lifetime.

Maureen McMillan April 18, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Doesn’t using a plastic lid on a glass container defeat the purpose?

Why don’t glassware containers come with *glass lids?

John Mahoney April 19, 2010 at 2:49 am

The plastic lids are tighter - at least when they are new - and I think that they keep the food better. However, if I can not get replacement lids, I think the next step is to use glass lids.

I am guessing that Corning and Pyrex are not making an effort to supply replacement lids so that I will buy a completely new set of containers. However, if I do, I think I will look to get glass containers with glass lids. I am pretty sure Anchor-Hocking has this product.

Barbara May 5, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I really like using glass containers and switched some time back from plastic. I bought a Martha Stewart set at K-Mart (good price) and now, a few months later, all the lids (plastic? rubber?) have cracks in them and I need to find replacements. Anyone know where? Also I have several Purex glass containers with similar lids I have had MUCH longer and the lids are still in good condition and always fit better than those from Martha Stewart. So where to get lids??

Lorraine Thompson May 6, 2010 at 7:45 am

@Maureen: I see your point. I still feel, however, that glass containers with plastic lids make a better option than all plastic. I don’t fill containers to the brim nor nuke with plastic lids, so my food is not in contact with the plastic. But so many folks are not looking for glass-topped storage, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see these start to come to market–see John’s comment on Anchor Hocking.

@John: Thanks for the info on Anchor Hocking. As mentioned in my post, I also find old Pyrex glass storage containers with glass lids at garage sales and flea markets–ultimate recycling!

@Barbara: There seems to be growing, dissatisfied consensus on plastic tops for glass storage containers.

So far, mine are holding up pretty well. As mentioned, I don’t microwave them and I’m always careful to put the lids in the top rack of the dishwasher where the heat and water pressure isn’t so intense. Maybe this has extended their life.

Unfortunately, I don’t know where to buy replacements–or even if replacements exist. It might be worth contacting Martha Stewart–please report back if you find anything!

Tony October 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Martha Stewart’s 14-Piece Glass Oven & Storage Set

Where can I find replacement lids for these great food storage containers?

Please help I love these things!

Lorraine Thompson October 10, 2010 at 7:22 am

@Tony: As I mentioned to John in my comment, above, I don’t know of a source for replacement lids. And it’s becoming more and more of a hassle as I lose more lids! Perhaps my rising stack of lidless glass containers will motivate me to contact Martha Stewart’s company–likely the only way to get definitive information of replacements.

Joe January 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I also use and like these MS glass containers (got mine at Kmart as well), but have cracked and cracking lids (and one that won’t lose its mold smell from some pineapple that got moldy currently soaking in diluted bleach). Found this site looking for replacements, so figured I’d chime in and see if anyone follows up. If I find them, I’ll let you all know where. Anyone know if there’s any warranty on this product?

Lorraine Thompson January 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Thanks, Joe. The cracked/lost lids really are annoying. Seems so irresponsible of MS to make a supposedly green product then stymie customers by not offering a way to use the containers indefinitely. Martha Stewart is on Twitter and I recently tweeted the company, asking about replacement lids. They completely ignored my question. Perhaps I’ll try their Facebook page. In any case, I’ll report back as soon as I have any new info.

Dave Fulcher January 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Thanks for inquiring into the replacement lids. It is irresponsible that MS does not offer replacement lids in a convenient way. I too have multiple cracked plastic covers and simply want to replace the lids. Our glass containers with glass lids were purchased at KMART and have performed great. If anyone hears about replacement lids, please let us know!

Thanks

Joe January 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm

MS sent me this:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia.

We are sorry that you are having problems with the green plastic lids
(which were part of the glass ovenware sets.) The sets were discontinued
in 2008. Our relationship with Kmart ended December 31, 2009.

The manufacturer of the ovenware pieces and coordinating lids is Anchor
Hocking. Since this product is no longer manufactured, Anchor Hocking
does not have green lids. They do, however, sell red-colored replacement
lids that will fit the glass ovenware.

To purchase, please visit:

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

MSLO Customer Relations
customersupport@marthastewart.com

Please visit our website http://www.marthastewart.com for recipes, projects,
and more!

Lorraine Thompson January 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm

@Joe: Bravo to you for your tenacity in pursuing this issue. I’m THRILLED to learn about Anchor Hocking lids–plan to order tomorrow. I will report back when I receive them and try them out. A thousand thanks, Joe!

Skydancer May 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Thanks. Helpful. Am undergoing a raise in consciousness and transformation as well. We’re all in this together, the difference has and is being made. Great post.

Lynn P. July 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I saw some large mason jars in Michael’s Craft Store over last weekend, and bought two for $3.00 each. The lids were screw-on metal with a metal/lined insert, like many of the old mason jars. Because I have no one to please but myself, I also have been doing a lot of food shopping with glass jars in mind. I have found Smucker’s large size peanut butter in a great jar, jellies, mango juice imported from Mexico in glass carafe-type bottles with a wide mouth. Bought two. I saw some great, huge pickle jars, but passed because it would take me a year to eat them all. I bought two Perrier glass bottles of water and a funnel to put my milk into them. All of these have metal screw-on lids except for a neat juice bottle from the 70’s I got in a thrift store. It has a plastic lid. For lost tops, I have found that wax paper and rubber bands work on any size container, and while it might look like something out of the 50’s, it works, and the wax paper can be washed with the dishes and reused. I had forgotten how much I love wax paper. Great, unpretentious stuff, that! Baby jars work great for small amounts. And don’t forget that stainless steel is a great product for kitchen storage and cooking. I got three stainless steel bowls at the thrift shop for three dollars, big, too! Dollar stores often have mason jars, stainless steel bowls, and ceramic and glass mixing and storage containers. Be wary of ceramic from other countries, as lead may be an issue. With glass or stainless steel, you don’t have to guess. As long as we are being purists here, check out what microwaving does to molecules. It changes them to an unrecognizable form and is unhealthy. I tossed mine years ago after reading horror stories about what these ovens do to food. It’s online, just look it up. People think I’m crazy, but it’s not my information. It’s science. Just passing it along.

Lorraine Thompson July 10, 2011 at 4:45 am

@Lynn: Thanks for sharing all the wonderful storage ideas. I, too, am using tons of recycled jars these days–peanut butter, jam, salsa, etc. I love your idea for Perrier bottle re-use.

I don’t know where you live, but if you’re anywhere near a Christmas Tree Store (a big box home and houseware chain store), you might want to check out their selection of pretty glassware that can be used for storage. I bought a 12-count flat of Mason jars, glass flasks with hinged tops (great for salad dressing, syrup, etc.) there. Apropos of your milk storage: the Christmas Tree Store stocks fabulous “distressed,” vintage-looking French milk bottles with lids for around $1. I’m lucky to have my milk delivered in returnable glass bottles from a local dairy, but I use the French milk bottles for ice water, iced tea, chocolate milk and more.

I agree, stainless steel is another great storage option. Also vintage enameled stainless storage containers with loose-fitting lids, often found at flea markets and garage sales.

Lastly: Wax paper–yes, I love it also. And small wax paper sandwich bags–when you can find them–have multiple storage uses.

Lynn P. July 10, 2011 at 7:01 am

Unfortunately, after looking the Christmas Tree Shops up online, it appears I am out of the loop. Down here in St. Petersburg,Florida, we have none. Apparently, according to the website, the nearest one is Georgia. But interestingly, it was purchased by Bed Bath and Beyond, which is just up and around the corner, sort of. I was there last weekend also, as that is where Michael’s Craft store is. BBB is so overpriced it is ridiculous, and I do not think that Michael’s and the CTS carry the same merchandise, even though it is the same owner. So, I can’t go get some of those great French bottles you mentioned. They do not appear to ship or take online orders, either. In this economy, it almost seems crazy to have a store and not ship merchandise. But, what do I know? Those bottles sound gorgeous. I would have gotten them today. Thanks for a great website.

Lynn P. July 10, 2011 at 7:04 am

Correction - I meant to say that I didn’t think Bed Bath and Beyond carried the same merchandise as the Christmas Shop. I got befuddled because BB and B is in the same shopping center as Michaels. Plus, some days I only have one brain cell working, and it’s quivering.

Juanita July 29, 2011 at 9:45 am

Hey replacement lid folks! I just received replacement lids from Anchor Hocking and they fit my Martha Stewart glass containers perfectly. I ordered the 4 cup round and 7 cup round lids. But best of all Anchor Hockings sent them Fedex FREE SHIPPING! So go for it at their online store. Thanks to everyone who has researched and helped us “lid replacers” find ours.

Lorraine Thompson July 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

@Juanita: Thanks so much for your due diligence on the glass container lids. I confess, I haven’t replaced my lids yet: I actually went through the hassle of hauling out all the containers, measuring and making a detailed to-buy list–which I promptly lost. Your comment and news of FREE SHIPPING (are there any more glorious words?) gives me a kick in the pants. Thanks.

Pickling Kosher Pickles In Stoneware September 10, 2011 at 1:27 am

Glass containers are great!

I agree with plastic being really bad, I have spoiled so many kilos of Kosher Style pickles in plastic.

But for pickling stoneware is even better than glass because it lets clusters of beneficial bacteria cling to the rough texture.

So for storing glass is better, for curing and pickling stoneware rocks!

Megan April 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I’m looking in thrift shops to find glass containers with glass lids or tops like casserole dishes to only store food in the fridge. I don’t care if they stack (for now). Should I only be looking for completely super clear ones or can they be glass with a “clearish” color like light tan, amber or light blue?

What if they are glass but a totally solid color like white such as Corningware SimplyLite 10-pc. Casserole Set? (is this even considered “glass” ?) and safe? The dish is white but the tops are clear glass. Here’s a link :

I pre cook & store most foods (not freeze them) like chicken, brown rice, broccoli, cooked oatmeal & blueberries as I have diabetes type 2 to make it easier to fix meals quickly. Basically I am a horrid cook and this makes it easier.
Thanks if anyone can help.

Brenda December 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Where can I get replacements lids they are cheap & have split.

Angela February 12, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I’m also a glass evangelist, Lorraine. My sister was buying Coconut Oil in a large plastic container and sitting the container in hot water to melt it because the oil solidifies in cold weather. Thankfully, I have converted her to buying the oil in glass jars.

And another thing. The Vitamix Blenders which are highly regarded as the best blenders on the market advertise that you can blend vegetables and then heat them for soup in the plastic jug. Not Good!!

I have bought a blender with a glass jug.

Sharon Spicer May 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I want to make pickle bologna’ but i can not find a gallon glass jug or jar ,so i was wondering if i can use a plastic one.

Josef June 29, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Hi. I found a nice set of Pyrex nested bowls (4) with multi-color lids at Target for about $20, when I decided to replace my plastic food storage containers and Tupperware-types. However, I could not find out any information about the composition of the lids. Would you know? Also what solutions do you have for replacing zip lock bags for packing lunches? My thanks!

MichiganMom July 2, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I buy my mason jars at the local Salvation Army store. I buy regular and wide mouth lids brand new at the local Kmart (I wouldn’t want to reuse someone else’s lids). Sal Army’s price for the quart size jars is just 99c each which comes out a lot cheaper than buying a set of new ones. I use my mason jars for everything in the kitchen. I have a nice inexpensive label maker that I use to label the fronts of the jars (for different coffees, hot chocolate mixes, etc.). We also have home delivery for our milk from a local dairy in glass containers. I wouldn’t trade the taste of milk in glass vs grocery store plastic for anything. It’s nice to see that there are others out there that appreciate the “old school” ways too!

Josef July 5, 2013 at 10:58 am

Here’s the response I got from Pyrex about lids, but would feel more comfortable with the rubber compound materials you mentioned.

“We appreciate your concern regarding our products. Our Pyrex brand lids are a composite of ingredients that, in the amounts included in the lids, meet all FDA requirements for food contact materials. We are sorry that we cannot provide you the exact ingredients in our lids. The actual list of those ingredients is proprietary to World Kitchen and its supplier. However, our supplier has confirmed that these covers do not contain any of the following ingredients. We hope this is helpful.

Polystyrene
Phthalate
BVP
PVC
Polychlorinated Vinyl
Bisphenol A (BPA)
Polycarbonate
BPS
please visit http://www.shopworldkitchen.com.

For further assistance, please contact our Consumer Care Center at 800-999-3436. Representatives are available from 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday, EST, and will be more than happy to assist you.”

joelle October 21, 2013 at 3:13 am

Hello
I would like to ask if I am using a glass container with a plastic lid, should i remove the lid when I put the container in the microwave? Or should i heat the food with the lid on

Vihtori November 17, 2014 at 1:51 am

Good day very cool web site!! Guy .. Excellent ..
Wonderful .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?
I’m satisfied to find a lot of helpful info here in the put up, we want develop extra techniques on this regard, thank you for
sharing. . . . . .

Merry Saint November 26, 2014 at 8:20 am

Thsnks for this informative post :) anyway, I prefer to choose reputable brands like Pyrex, their material was good enough for me